Having spent a large part of 2015 figuring a few things out, specifically what I was truly passionate about and wanted to be known for, 2016 was the year I was going to take action.
So how did I get on and what have I learned that will take me forward into 2017?
My 4 main goals were: -
- Set up a business to help companies and people be the best they can;
- Run a marathon;
- Do a half ironman;
- Have our third child
As I completed these goals a few key themes appeared that will form the foundation of my approach to 2017.
The biggest thing I have learned is that nothing is possible working alone - all of the above requried the support, guidance and understanding of other people to make them happen.
As well as this, I developed certain habits (good and bad) and also experienced highs and lows as the year progressed.
After some time away over Christmas, I sat down to think about what my key lessons from 2016 were and what areas I will focus on to drive me forward in 2017.
Set out below are 5 simple Success Skills you can use to help you get the most out of 2017.
1 - Your Mindset
Mindset is one of the most simple and obvious areas that drives results. Your mindset determines your behaviour, your behaviour drives your results, your results impact your mindset and so this cycle continues.
So what does a success mindset look like?
- Responsibility – don’t blame people or circumstance for your results. The success mindset addresses a poor result and makes changes to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
- Determination – are you doing whatever it takes to get your desired result?
- Self-belief – have belief in your ability to make things happen and achieve the success you want.
- Commitment – 100% to the desired result. No excuses, just passion and focussed energy.
- Optimism – this helps you deal with difficulty, see the positives and learn lessons from adversity.
- Continued growth – you should see unlimited possibility and a clear path from where you are now to where you want to be.
- Action – nothing happens without action. Take calculated risks based on solid information.
2 - Your Energy
Success is not easy and change, growth and results all require enormous energy.
What energy do you need to be successful?
- Physical energy – make sure you eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly.
- Mental energy – this helps you deal with challenges as they arise and keeps you focussed.
- Emotional energy – learn what excites you and what upsets you. Become proactive, not reactive, in your thoughts.
- Spiritual energy – these are the beliefs and values that centre your ambition and motivation. Do you know your values?
3 - Your Discipline
You must have positive habits that you consistently apply to help you achieve your goals. Time management is critical here.
How do you hold yourself accountable to building the habits you need to be successful?
4 - Your Influence
Establishing rapport and building trust are critical to your success.
There are 2 main areas to focus on here: -
- Build trust by being open minded and having confidence in other people’s integrity and abilities, and;
- Establish rapport and adjust your style as needed to help you engage with as many people as possible.
5 - Your Authenticity
To be successful you must truly be yourself. Few people have achieved success by copying others.
This is absolutely key. Following the crowd and letting others shape your life will only bring a certain degree of success, and will ultimately lead to you feeling unfulfilled.
There are 3 areas to focus on to ensure you are being authentic;
- Your Purpose – are you absolutely passionate about what you are doing? Do you have a set of values by which you live day to day that drive your behaviour?
- Your Vision and Goals – where exactly do you see yourself in 20 years and what goals do you need to meet to get there? 5 year / 3 year / 1 year and quarterly goals should be a minimum.
- Your Self- awareness – do you know yourself and know truly what excites and motivates you?
As Dax Moy said, “never try to be more than you are, just try and be all that you are”
So there you have it, the 5 Success Skills you need to take you forward in 2017.
What works for you and what doesn't work?
What did you acheive in 2016 and what are your goals for 2017?
At ys-ms I help business owners clarify what success looks like and then work with the rest of the company to make it happen. Building these Success Skills is crticial to helpng business owners and their people acheive the success they want. My people-led approach to business success means when you work with ys-ms your business will be in a better place with more confident and empowered employees to take you forward.
It’s your success, I help you keep it simple.
Visit the YS-MS blog here